Sunday, August 12, 2007

World of Ethics

On Saturday, we had an "Ethics Session" put on by the law school by bringing in local attorneys and judges to discuss with us the importance of ethics within the profession. Compared to most people, my morals tend to sway out at the edge of the limb. And since ethics in my mind (correct me if I'm wrong) are simply the application of morals to satisfy some "code of ethics", I tend to find ethics a crap shoot. By this I mean, codes of ethics tend to be vague so what really defines good ethics? If it seems ethical to me, is that good enough? I'll just assume yes since I don't want to give this ethics topic any more thought at the moment. To top it off, we were encouraged (might as well say forced) to dress in professional business attire. Normally, I wouldn't have an issue with doing so. Although when it's 100 degrees out with 378.6(expect some rounding error) percent humidity, I'd rather not be all spiffed up. There will be ample opportunity for the professional attire once I actually become one of these professionals. Until then, tank top and boxers should suffice. And to make it worse (yeah you thought I was done whining), the fire alarm was triggered during the session so we got to experience what it would feel like to be a construction foreman dressed in a suit.

I haven't been to class yet and I already have 50 pages of cases to read. Since tomorrow is the first class, well sort of, I must attempt to get this crap finished.

No comments: