Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Unpleasant surprise

As I'm walking into class this evening, I take a quick glance at my schedule to make sure I'm not supposed to be jazzed up in a suit for 1L pictures. Luckily, the check confirmed that's not until Thursday. But then I noticed, "Class 6 p.m. - 10 p.m." 4 hours of ungraded torture...great. Come to find out, Monday was just a 2.5 hour tease. The remainder of the week is 4 hours a pop. Not to mention, the grueling readings that will keep me up until 3 in the morning. Work, eat, class, read, and then it starts all over again. Where does sleep fall into this equation?

I've been told that these mandatory 1L pictures may be used by the professors as part of their Socratic teaching method. Whether it's true or not, I've heard that they use your name in conjunction with your picture to remind themselves of who the slackers are when determining who to belittle during the lectures. Most of the professors will randomly call upon an individual to state the facts, issues, rulings, analysis, and holdings of each case. If you're wrong, they'll be sure to let you and your fellow classmates know. If you're right, then they'll just find a way to prove you wrong. As nuts as this may sound, I'm actually looking forward to experiencing this. I've noticed that even with a lack of rest, I find myself zoned in on the lectures. It's much more interesting than scientific studies because there never exists a right or wrong. So as I see it...I'm always right. Then again, there was never any doubt.

I have some interesting thoughts on cases to discuss in future posts.

3 comments:

In Debt I am said...

Those activities you speak of are basically temporarily suspended. The weekend is getting close however...

Jeff said...

Ah yes, the weekend drinking plan that you told us about.... You'll probably have it all figured out in a couple of weeks and will be able to chug back a case of beer while spouting endless legal trivia. Isn't law school all about multitasking anyway?

In Debt I am said...

The weekend drinking plan will enter a void state. Need to catch up on the sleep instead. I like your idea of multitasking, but I think briefing 10+ cases (not beer) a night is enough multitasking at the moment. Thanks for the boost of confidence though.