Saturday, August 11, 2007

The First Day(s) of Attorney-ism

The first day is in the books, albeit not an official class yet. On Friday night, the SBA had a meet and greet session with the incoming 1L's as we're called. Being a 1L is basically the same as a S00p3r n00b in computer terminology. No respect, but already a lot of debt. The 3L's on the other hand can be thought of as Leet H4x0r's. And after finished being a 3L, you seal your fate with being able (or for some) not able to pass the Bar exam. If you pass, then you're ready to make some dough. If you fail, then you try again and pray that you're not as stupid as the first time that you took it. Either way, you're now not as much of a tool as the incoming 1L's.

Now, I must discuss some liberal-artsism<--A new word in my personal dictionary. Even in engineering we have those annoying knobs that speak out of turn and blurt out answers that are completely off base. As an engineer, I'm somewhat of an introvert. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the liberal arts folks. In my only two experiences with the arts (yesterday and today), I've come to define that liberal-artsism is the study of how to learn to not shut up. And apparently, law school is just the graduate version of this unfamiliar (to me) concept. It'll be tough, but I'll learn to adapt.

Back to the meet and greet...We basically were instructed to mix and mingle with our peers. In making sure we did so, we were presented with free beer. What a superb idea? Teach us to be alkies before we even begin. No wonder lawyers have such bad reputations. One of my new found buddies said it best, "Well, we can tell who just graduated college and who's held a real job." We asked, "Oh, yeah? How is that?" He said, "We're all part-time students who have real jobs, right? Take a look around, we're also closest to the keg." He's got a point.

Tomorrow, I'll be elaborating on my first day in a suit discussing ethics.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Don't worry dude. You will always be a l33t h4x0r to us! Don't let those liberal arts n00bs influence you too much :)

In Debt I am said...

I aim to pwn them with my wicked skills.