Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Time keeps passing me by

Something about law school seems really strange to me. This semester is nearly over and I feel as if I just had my first day of class a couple of weeks ago. I remember that prior to starting law school I kept telling myself, "Oh great! Another four years of school. Will this ever end? I just want to relax and be satisfied with my education." Maybe it's the constant pounding in my head due to the severe stress caused by the law school experience. It's hard to notice years of my life slipping away as I'm reading endlessly into people suing other people. One thing I do have to give the law school experience credit for thus far is that I actually feel much smarter than I did 3 months ago. Not only can I argue with a brick wall now, I can do so intelligently. I feel as if I now have a certificate/license to argue. It's my duty to the public.

In high school, you just want to get out. You become legal, you're closer to the drinking age, and college partying is just a few steps away. In college, you drink yourself stupid and just want to get finished so you can start making some actual cash. Then you get out, and at least for me, you want to go back. In graduate school, you feel like you're almost there. Then, of course, comes the Ph.D which I've postponed for now. Now it's law school. I still can't wait to get finished, but for the first time in my higher education experience I look forward to going to class and learning more about the law. Maybe I've found my true calling. Although it's a major pain in the neck, I enjoy going to law school. I'm surrounded by some very brilliant people, many more than I encountered during my undergraduate/graduate experience. Law school is unique. Everyone is a Type-A personality...very aggressive and competitive. At the same time, however, there exists a camaraderie between the students. These are now my brethren. I look forward to kicking their tail in the court room and subsequently inviting them for a weekend on my yacht.

No comments: