Monday, November 19, 2007

And I thought law school was exciting

I traveled north this weekend to visit a place less infested with violent crime. On my way back through sticks of Mississippi, I was traveling on the interstate around 1:30 a.m. I seemed to be the only vehicle on the highway. Then, I noticed a car way in front of me. At the time it seemed as if I was getting closer. Then, pooooffff!!! He magically disappeared. It was in an area where the distance between exits can be as far as 10 miles so I was pretty sure he never exited. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a car approaching me from behind at a high rate of speed. He used his signals while changing lanes to go around me. I noticed his back window had some sort of sticker containing a thuggish phrase. He exited the interstate at the next exit but I didn't see him turn when he came to a stop. Then I noticed a car with flashing lights at the end of the upcoming on ramp. Several teens were waving lights trying to flag me down. One was even reaching out into my lane jumping up and down with what looked like a light from a cell phone in his hand. The hood of the car was up and several thuggish looking males were standing outside the car. I moved over to the left lane and flew on by. The car with flashing lights looked similar to the one that passed me and exited the interstate moments before. I kept looking in my rear view mirror to make sure these punks weren't going to chase me down. I laid on the gas and that was the end of it.

Now, here's my theory. I think the car with flashing lights was the same car that I noticed way ahead of me several miles back. I'm assuming the car that came hauling tail from behind me was friends with these fools. I think I was a target for a highway robbery. It just seemed awfully suspicious. First, why wave open cell phones in the air in an attempt to flag me down? If you have a cell phone, use it for its intended purpose. Second, why did the car behind me use signals to go around but fail to use a signal at the end of the off-ramp? Finally, what in the hell am I going to do that three or four other males can't?

How can I relate this to law school? Was I negligent? Well, I have no duty to assist others, so the answer is no. I only have a duty to act reasonably if I decide to do so. I've read too many cases in which people sued for damages when another person was simply trying to help. Plus, I'm not nice enough to help.

No comments: