Thursday, November 6, 2008

Who turned on the air conditioner?

I arrived in Nashville this morning without incident. Not that I expected anything whack to happen, but we've all seen those Southwest Airlines shows on tv. I noticed something today after getting here. Usually I drive up from N.O. The long drive tends to blur the differences between there and here. Today I flew in. I left a city where people pack concealed heat to cap others just for the hell of it. I arrived in a place where people carry guns in case they stroll across the golden opportunity to bring home a new wall decoration. There is a big difference between Thuggish-Ruggish neighborhoods to Hillbilly Hollow. The difference is not a decrease (or increase) of quality of people in the two very different places, it's just a mere change of ethnicity. Same people, different makeup.

I attempted to study on the plane, but it's such a short flight that the plane never levels out. Therefore, my ears kept popping due to the rapid changes in altitude. Screw the studying...Jack & Coke please. As I got off the plane, two Cajun rednecks (on their way to Vegas) said, "Let's go grab a beer." Of course, it was barely 8 in the morning at that time. But when you come from a place where no bars hold, it's a shock to find out that drinking establishments actually close up for the evenings. It seems so sacriligious. Anyway, study today, interview tomorrow, and then we'll see what else pops up.

No comments: