Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Random thoughts, nothing better to write about

The question posed is always, why leave a profession to go back to school. Someone asked me the other day if I enjoyed law school and whether I would do it again if faced with the decision. I love it. Hands down the answer is yes I'd do it again. My social life has taken a blow, but three years of hell is better than a lifetime at trying to make ends meet. I realize that not all attorneys become wealthy, but this one will. I don't look up to heroes. Heroes are for followers. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with a follower. For every leader, there are those that follow. It's just not my cup of tea. I chase dreams and aspirations. Law school just happens to be the one avenue that must be taken to catch a few of those dreams.

People bitch about attorneys making lots of money off of other peoples' problems and being scum bags. My response is "Get over it." Sure the profession has potential to make you rich. Scum bags though? Depends on how you view it. I see it as solving problems for people that could not otherwise do for themselves. People say, "I can represent myself better than any attorney." You really think so, eh? Well, good luck. Let me know how that turns out.

Here's my justification. Law school is one of the most grueling experiences that one could possibly be subjected to mentally. In addition, my tuition is $35,000 a year. That doesn't include books and all the other expenses. I'll have a 150K mortgage when I graduate law school with only a piece of framed cotton paper to show for it. For those that succeed, they are rewarded. That's why I don't believe in spreading the wealth. I busted my ass to get where I am. I took the risk by the willingness to endure such debt to reap the benefits later. I can't file bankruptcy to avoid paying student loans. I'm stuck. Here's a shovel. Start digging your way out. And when I do, I shall enjoy my riches with no strings attached.

No comments: