Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Priority Letter costs $4.80...believe me, it sucks

I got a rejection the other day from one of the firms that I recently interviewed with out of town. They stated that they were not currently in a position to offer any summer positions due to the economy, and blah, blah, blah, and all that other crap. Whether they are straight shooters or just feeding me a load of horse shit, it doesn't really matter. A rejection is a rejection. They all suck no matter how it's sugar coated. They said that they would revisit their hiring needs when it gets closer to the summer and if they were in a position to offer me something at that point, then they'd give me a call. I almost believe them. It's the first rejection in which someone has actually called me on the phone to deliver the verdict. It's more genuine to hear it directly than to open up that dreaded envelope delivered to my mailbox. After receiving the "official" you-suck-and-can't-work-for-us notification by mail, another envelope found its way into my mailbox. I thought, "Hmmm. They already sent me one rejection letter. I don't need a second one. I get the point." Then...like any curious person that doesn't want to open bad news and would just prefer to toss the mail in the garbage...I hold the envelope up to the sunlight and notice that it doesn't contain an 8.5 X 11. What could this be? I open it up and hot-diggity-damn, it's a check for 200 bucks. I need to start scheduling interviews for every Friday.

A little note about rejection letters...if you're interviewing someone and you send a rejection letter because they don't meet your needs, there is no need to beat around the damn bush. State it bluntly. This goes for all professions, not just the legal arena.

Since all of the law firm rejection letters are nearly identical, why waste my time with flowery language. Instead of 2 or 3 paragraphs stating how they are glad that I'm interested in the firm and how my qualifications are so outstanding and how they know I'll continue to do great in pursuing my legal education and how I'll be successful once I enter practice and...

Enough of that. Get to the point so I can read my next homework assignment. Something like this would work better:

Dear Mr. Unqualified:
Thank you for interviewing with our firm, but you're not good enough to work for us.
Buh-Bye

No comments: