Monday, October 20, 2008

Elimination techniques

Saturday morning I attended a 3-hour skills course that basically discussed the fitness and character requirements necessary for the practice of law. They discussed things that would get you in trouble with the disciplinary office and what acts are grounds for getting debarred. I have no problem with attorneys who seek to clean up the profession; in fact, I think its great. However, maybe it's because I approach problem solving differently than the liberal arts wienies, that I would nip the problem in the ass from its roots instead of waiting for the problem to grow into a large three-headed monster. Law school is a game of who is better. Hence, the ranking system. This competition and pressure to do well creates the problems that the disciplinary offices seek to reduce. Why not just eliminate the ranking system and not hand out grades? Everyone would be in the top ten percent and no one would go insane. Some schools already do this, but then how do the large firms know who to offer those huge salaries to straight out of law school? I have a solution to solve that problem: Beer drinking marathon. It may sound counterintuitive, but the best attorney's that I've come to know can sure hold their own.

No comments: