Wednesday, October 29, 2008

For hire

As I sit back and try to figure out where in the world I'll end up after law school, one thing crosses my mind...I'll miss this place. There is something about this city that just grabs you by the balls and won't loosen up on the grip. It's the most amazing city in the country, regardless of the negative views of those that have never been here have about it, or those views from people who visited for a weekend and never left the French Quarter. I've lived in L.A. for a period of my life. Cool. Big City. Lots of things to do. But...it doesn't match up. I've also lived in the sticks of Tennessee. Small town. Peaceful. No crime. But not a whole of shit to do and the people are always worried about what everyone else is up to...it doesn't match up. I've visited Vegas and did the Vegas thing. Fun - yes. But...it doesn't match up. This place...it's ideal for the attorney lifestyle.

How many cities allow you to carry an open beer out on the street? Better yet, how many cities have bars that are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year? How many cities have bars that have stacks of plastic cups waiting at the door in case you want to take your beer with you? How many cities have such a wicked culture? Such great food? Weird-ass people intermingled with the poor, intermingled with the rich, intermingled with the hippies, intermingled with the coon-asses, intermingled with the hippie killers, intermingled with the average everyday middle-class citizen? As they say, it's the smallest big city in the world. The entertainment is to die for. Whether it be a night out on Bourbon Street, kicking back at one of the hundreds of live music venues, or just chilling at one of the thousands of local pubs bitching about how Hurricane Katrina took everything we inherited from grandma.

Unfortunately, the type of law that I want to practice doesn't have much of a presence in this city. Therefore, I'm going to have to go elsewhere when I finish law school. Fortunately that day is still well over a year away. Meanwhile, I have time to live it up and soak it in.

No comments: