Tuesday, September 11, 2007

St-st-udddderrrinn'

Usually, I have no problem knocking down questions thrown at me in class. However, for some strange reason, I have this issue in Torts. And what makes the issue worse is that Torts seems, at least so far, to be the easiest to comprehend. On the contrary, the nature of the court decisions in Torts seems to be much more subjective than the cases from my other classes. Here's the deal...
If my Torts professor randomly asks a question, I am more than capable of issuing a solid response. The problem arises with his method of attack. Unlike the other classes where the probability of a particular person getting called on is equal to his/her peers, my Torts professor assigns "On-Call" groups. Each "On-Call" group is assigned a particular section of the material to be discussed in class. So, it may be a couple of weeks in between each time that my "On-Call" group is singled out. During the next class session, my group is On-Call. There seems to be some awkwardness in my nervous system when my group is On-Call. After looking around at other members in my group, I've noticed that I'm not the only one. I tend to tap my pencil, bounce my feet up and down, thumb through my papers, and a lot of other weird crap when I'm On-Call. In addition, I seem to stumble over my first couple of words before settling down and delivering my response. This only occurs when I'm On-Call. I can't quite figure it out.
My buddy jokingly mentioned bringing in a bottle of Bourbon and distributing it amongst my fellow peers before class. That would obviously ease the tension, but then we'd all doze off. This law school thing sure seems to throw me into a strange mental state at times. I'm beginning to see transformations in character and thought process. It's a good thing, but at the same time it's very different than anything else that I've experienced.

No comments: