Thursday, September 20, 2007

Easy now kids

I've had a few people say, "You haven't posted anything this week." I've been really busy with loads of reading, a research assignment, and a legal memorandum which I've yet to start on. I do have a few interesting tidbits to share when I get around to it. For today though, I'd like to assign you the reading of the Jena 6 story taking place in the small town of Jena, LA. Go grab it from your favorite news source and then come back to see what I have to say about it.

For those of you that are too lazy to read it for yourselves, let me explain. Apparently, Jena is a small town with a bit of racial tension. What do you expect though? It's the South and there are still those who firmly believe that the South will rise again.

Here's the short and sweet version with a few possible misstatements on my part. Go read it for yourself since my synopsis is most likely incorrect and missing some facts. At Jena High School, the white kids sat under a tree dubbed "The White Tree." The black kids sat on some bleachers elsewhere. One day, a black kid sarcastically asked the principal if he could sit under "The White Tree." The principal stated that anyone can sit anywhere. The following day, some black kids sat under "The White Tree." Shortly thereafter, three nooses were hung in the tree. The white kids responsible for the act were suspended for a few days. Racial tensions increased and fights ensued. Some days later, a white kid involved in the beating up of a black kid was bragging about the incident. The "Jena 6" (a group of black students) as they are so called, knocked his dick in dirt so-to-speak. Now the Jena 6 are being charged with attempted murder, battery, etc.

Now, of course, you have every activist group known to man rallying at the hearings. Al Sharpton and his followers are protesting racism. PETA is whining about the abuse of the tree and microorganisms that live in it. MADD is stopping by to make sure no one's leaving the rally drunk. Da, da, da, da, da...you get the point. My biggest issue with this is that rallying is stupid. I don't care who you are or why you are rallying; it's stupid. What good ioes it do? As unfortunate as it may be, it's not going to affect the outcome of trial. Even if the judges in Jena are racists and throw the book at the kids, an appeal to a higher court will solve those issues. In my opinion, those who rally are just talking the talk. Talkers aren't leaders, so why listen to them? My opinions are swayed by those who actually walk the walk. Letting your balls hang low goes a long way in my book. So if you're going to get involved, then do something meaningful. Rallying is not meaningful; people get the point already. The reason why I mention this story is because several of my law school classmates have been attending these rallies and going around soliciting attendance to others. Leave me out of it. I don't get involved in this nonsense. I'm here to study the law, not to rally. If I wanted to learn to rally, I'd become a hippie.

No comments: