Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Being called on

This semester has been more of pain in the butt when it comes to preparation for class. In addition to the lack of available time to prepare for each class due to Moot Court, we've been responsible for a larger load of material. Law school is a lot of reading. Some classes comb through nearly 1000 pages of material in one semester. Others have less. Each case that is read needs to analyzed and briefed for class. Believe me...after witnessing the brutal verbal attacks on students who come unprepared, I took an oath not to allow myself to fall into that trap. In Torts, I've been called on 4 times. Some people haven't been called on at all. The Torts professor uses a method of drawing names from a shuffled stack of cards. Last time that I got called on he said, "Your name comes up often." My quit-witted response was, "It must be the way you shuffle." Fortunately, he's failed to catch me off-guard. I guess it's a matter of being fully prepared. My grades are a clear indication of my dedication, but on the flip side my social life has taken a beating. I keep telling myself, "One day I'll be able to enjoy a beer without worrying about how much material I have to read before the next day of class." Maybe I'm a total dork, but I sort of enjoy the intense pressure of law school. It keeps me on my toes.

No comments: