Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Not proper attire

Upon entering the law school today, I noticed a lot of old people wearing suits and what not. So I figured it must be some kind of alumni relations event or something like that. Normally I head up the stairs to the 4th floor where all my classes are held. However, today I had my laptop bag and backpack full of books, so it was a genuine opportunity for me to be a fat lazy bum. I took the elevator. On the elevator with me was a caterer dude wearing his cool 6 ft tall cook hat. I wish I had one of those, but that's getting off topic here. During my elevator ride, the caterer dude said, "I must warn you man...It's a nightmare up there (referring to the 4th floor)." "What do you mean?" I ask. He said, "There's a lot folks here for a reception." As the door opens to the 4th floor, I notice tons of old folks drinking beverages and eating snack foods. I thought, "Cool! I'm hungry and wouldn't mind a drink." I commenced to making my way through the crowd. These people are looking at me like, "What's this kid doing? He doesn't belong here." Excuse me, excuse me, as I make my way through the crowd bumping people with my bags. What was I to do? I had a class to get to. As I approach my classroom I notice a sign saying, "*****'s Contracts class will be held in Room 3-something on the third floor this evening." I thought, "Oh great, now I gotta make my way through the crowd again." So I did. As I was walking back through the crowd, I noticed many liquor bottles and snacks sitting on various tables. Once again, liquor at the law school. This place is the heaven I've been dreaming of. Why go to class? Free drinks? Can't pass that up! The temptation to join the party was there, but I resisted and made my way down to the 3rd floor. When I got to class, I asked some of my classmates if they went to the 4th floor first as well. They said an email was sent out telling us our room was changed for the evening in addition to the plethora of signs at the law school entrance directing us to the 3rd floor. The one day that I decide to not check my email and ignore any signs hanging at the entrance...Oh well, my instincts must have been trying to lead me to the party. To top off the story, I was watching the evening news and apparently the law school was hosting some award thingy for a state Sup. Ct. Justice or something like that. At least they'll recognize me if I sit for the state bar.

No comments: